From the Melanated Man:
Do one of these challenges apply to you?
Taken from Deanne Meaningall’s Living: The Melanin Diet:
- We identify exclusively with our body and our mind convinces us that we are mortal beings.
- We have abandoned spiritual divine ancient principles and settle for religion.
- We are void from the true rhythm of life; the heartbeat of Creation.
- We are ignorant (prefix is to ignore) to the reality of global events.
- We do not ingest food with the inner standing that proper nutrition is key.
- We believe that as melanin-rich people, the sunrays are harmful to us.
- We are convinced that our “Savior” is outside of self.
- We believe that we die when our spirit dies.
- We believe we are measured by the things we have in the material realm.
- We believe that we must live from a place of either hatred and or fear.
- We believe that we must emulate the drama we see on television.
- We believe most of what we hear, see and are told, not what we read.
- We believe that as a group, we are collectively living well in this country.
- We believe that our thoughts, actions and beliefs are all on autopilot.
- We believe that by ignoring our condition it will magically disappear.
- We believe that we are inferior.
- We believe that we have been cursed, especially because “it is in the Bible.”
- We believe and further support by our actions the “crabs in the barrel” theory.
- We believe that lighter skin and straighter hair is better.
- We believe drugs of any kind will heal us.
- We believe that our Creator is away from us, perhaps in heaven.
- We believe that we do not learn from our elders and they have been cast aside.
- We believe that everything around us really exists.
- We believe that judging others is a righteous act.
- We believe that Africans learned from the Greeks.
- We believe that women are inferior to men.
- We believe that we must be fearful of everything, including God.
- We believe that it is okay to speak better to our pets than with our children.
- We believe in an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.
- We believe that the kingdom of God is in heaven and not within.
- We believe that we live [in] a righteous country.
- We believe it is appropriate for our children [to] eat fast food.
- We believe it is acceptable for more men to be in prison than college.
- We believe that our lives have improved tremendously since being in the U.S.
- We believe that as a group, living without a national and global plan, is viable.
- We believe that it is ok to accept corrupt religious leaders in the pulpit.
- We believe that being apathetic is a good thing.
- We believe it is ok that we have very little to show from our 450 years in the USA.
- We believe that more and more things will bring us happiness.
- We believe that we are NOT hypnotized by the vices of this world.
- We believe that to be alive, we must be preoccupied with the daily distractions.
- We believe that we are disconnected from everyone and everything around us.
At some point or another, we have had to deal with the majority of these challenges in one form or another. Number 37 really hit home for me. Most of my life I had been the “I don’t care, it don’t really matter” kind of guy and I still am for the most part. But lately I have learned to speak of on topics that I feel real strongly about regardless of the blowback I may incur. I’m still a work in progress but eventually I will learn to strike a balance.
Number 32 is really embarrassing for me since I preach healthy eating throughout this blog. Old habits die hard I tell you. I’m learning to break that habit with my kids , and to a lesser extent myself included. I must admit occasionally I like me some french fries. It’s gotta be the salt; it’s a addicting I tell you!
I’m pretty sure we could add to this list of challenges; it’s not the end-all, be-all list. But it’s very comprehensive and understandable. Share with others, let’s overcome these challenges and others not listed in our own individual lives so that we can overcome and move forward collectively as a group, as the Melanin-Dominant people we should operate as.
Let’s get to it, folks!
Peace and Love to my melanated family,
The Melanated Man